BdREN with its multi-gigabit capability aims to connect all universities, research institutions, medical colleges, libraries, laboratories, healthcare and agricultural institutions across the country and to support geographically dispersed academics, medical professionals, scientists and researchers with reliable access to high-end computing, simulation tools and datasets. With a view to implementing the BdREN backbone, UGC signed an IRU contract with Power Grid Company of Bangladesh (PGCB) Ltd. for using 2(two) core from its country-wide distributed OPGW network. Backbone network of BdREN is designed based on this optical fiber.
BdREN is also connected with other regional and trans-continental Research and Education Networks (RENs) (e.g. TEIN, GEANT, Internet2 and others). It has interlinked the faculties and students of Bangladesh to the global academic community and learning resources. It also facilitates international collaborative research and catalyzes innovation in the country.
BdREN is being operated as a Non-profit Trust organization with a board of trustees consisting of representatives from the universities/user communities, UGC, MoE and other members co-opted for their expertise and position in relevant industries.
- Collaboration and Engagement. BdREN will nurture collaboration and sharing of resources among members.
- Sustainability. BdREN will endeavor to be self-sustaining in all its operations.
- Integrity and Fairness. At all times BdREN will operate in an atmosphere that ensures impartiality, transparency, and accountability in its operations.
- Innovation and Creativity. BdREN will actively seek appropriate solutions for continuous improvement.
- Excellence. BdREN will be guided by the need to maintain the highest standards in all its operations.